The only damselfly we saw during our 2017 trip to Namibia. P. massaicum (Massai Sprite) is very similar to P. vaalense (Vall Sprite) which fortunately did not occur where we first found this, so identification was a little easier, avoiding the need for genital determination. 🙂
We encountered more on the Cubango River (a.k.a. Okavango River) at Shakawe in Botswana, 2022 though lighting wasn’t particularly advantageous.
- ♂ – head and thorax show a strong vermillion colouration (very attractive)
- ♂ – face and post-ocular spots are vermillion
- ♂ – S8 & 9 have a sky blue tail light.
- ♂ – S2 shows a black “Y” mark.
- ♂ – S3 – S7 have black torpedo marks on their dorsal side.