Another prune and another Chaser, though the scarce bit wasn’t applicable around Arçais, which was crawling with them in 2011. I fancy I must have been guilty of dismissing them as Black-tailed Skimmers on earlier visits. Didn’t spot any females, though – they were certainly scarce!
If you find our pruinose dragonflies a little confusing, here is an id/comparison chart to help.
- Dark triangle on inboard edge of hind-wing (typical Chaser)
- Bright orange abdomen with dark dorsal stripe (♀)
- Blue pruinose abdomen, black-tipped at S8-10 (mature ♂)
- Blue/grey eyes (mature ♂)
- Sometimes faint, dark patches at wing tips