Over the years, I have been putting together some identification aids in the form of comparison charts for some of the more confusing UK lookalike species. These charts have been made available through the UK Dragonflies and Damselflies facebook group, where they have proved quite popular with my fellow odo-nutters. So, I thought I should at least try and make them available on my own website. 🙂
Step #1, I suppose, is deciding between a dragonfly (Anisoptera) and a damselfly (Zygoptera).
Now to the annotated comparisons.
- Blue-tailed Damselfly colour forms (Ischnura elegans)
- Bluets/Blue-striped damselflies (Enallagma/Coenagrion)
- Demoiselles (Calopteryx)
- Large Red Damselfly: Gender & Maturity (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)
- Red-eyed damseflies/Brighteyes (Erythromma)
- Spreadwings/Emerald damselflies (Lestes/Chalcolestes)
- Darters (Sympetrum)
- Blue/Pruinose dragonflies (Libellula/Orthetrum)
- Hawkers (Aeshna +)
- Flangetails (Ictinogomphus) non-UK
- Gender differentiation